[simpits-chat] Tech...

Gene Buckle simpits-chat@simpits.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:06:15 -0800 (PST)

> See, when I go into a programs directory in Windows, and say run "blah.exe"
> it doesnt run some random blah.exe it found somewhere else. In this case it
> was most decidedly NOT doing what I told it to do.

Yes it was.  The program you told it to execute was in your search path.
The program you _wanted_ to execute was not.  If you want to run a
specific program, say one in the directory you're in, you use ./program -
the "./" forces the shell to skip searching your path for the program.

 > >Like what?
>
> Orbiter, for starts. Hitman and H2. Trillian, sorta (I could get it running
> with Wine, but it wasn't perfect). Etc etc. Anything that could play DivX (a
> HUGE downside for me, and another several dozen hours down the drain).

Orbiter can be used with WineX, same with most other games.  I think there
is a DivX decoder for Linux now.

g.