[simpits-chat] Tech...

Brian Sikkema simpits-chat@simpits.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:47:15 +0000

>If you want to run a specific program, say one in the directory you're >in,
>you use ./program - the "./" forces the shell to skip searching your path
>for the program.
See, that's a bass-ackwards way of doing things. The first thing done SHOULD
be to look at the directory I'm in, THEN go to the search path if it can't
find it. Sounds logical to me... I know that's what the problem is, as I
mentioned we figured out eventually that there was another install hiding
somewhere that I was completely unaware of. But it's just backwards, and
without knowing about the other install there was really no way to tell
right off the bat that thats what it was doing.

>Orbiter can be used with WineX
Have you tried it? If its true I'd be excited, but I know there's a few
people on the Orbiter forum who want to get it running in linux, and I
haven't heard anyone say they've gotten it running yet. How about
performance? I know Wine can usually get things pretty close, but as I
mentioned with Trillian, usually there are problems and performance issues.
I'd never expect anything to work 100% with Wine.

>I think there is a DivX decoder for Linux now.
Oh there is, but as I mentioned, I spent many hours trying to get an
appropriate movie player and the codec installed and working properly, and
it never happened. I don't feel like doing it again.

Brian