[GEM Development] Driver find

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 06:29:43 PDT 2015

On 18 April 2015 at 14:40, Ben A L Jemmett <ben at jemmett.me.uk> wrote:
> That sounds like the one I'm thinking of - I think you said at the time that
> it showed no sign of life at all, and I figured I needed another inanimate
> lump of dead machine like the proverbial hole in the head...  Probably a
> sensible decision anyway, as if it hadn't have been the caps it might have
> been a dead flyback in the CRT drive or something equally terminal!

Might have been.

It wasn't that dead, though.

It was a gift from a friend -- his first ever computer.

I diagnosed bad caps, removed the logic board, took everything
removable off it (e.g. ROMs) and ran it through the dishwasher. This
removed the electrolyte that was shorting PCB tracks & brought it back
to fully-functional life, albeit with very quiet sound. I played with
it a lot -- had both System 7.6.1 and 6.0.8 working, both on the
Internet via my SCSI-Ethernet adaptor, both all tricked out.

Fun fact: once you add all the useful stuff to System 6 to bring back
features you got used to from later Systems, like a menu-bar clock, a
cascading hierarchical Control Panel, networking, etc. then it's just
as big and just as slow as System 7.

But with much of their electrolyte missing, it failed again. A 2nd
pass through the dishwasher wasn't enough this time.

I think you'd get on with Mark ML -- want me to put you 2 in touch in
case you can come to a mutually-satisfactory exchange of old kit?