[GEM Development] Driver find

Ben A L Jemmett ben at jemmett.me.uk
Sat Apr 18 05:40:12 PDT 2015

Liam Proven wrote:
> I *think* I gave my Classic II to Mark Morgan Lloyd down in Brighton,
> who took a lot of kit. It had bad caps on the motherboard -- a very
> common complaint with old machines.

That sounds like the one I'm thinking of - I think you said at the time that it showed no sign of life at all, and I figured I needed another inanimate lump of dead machine like the proverbial hole in the head...  Probably a sensible decision anyway, as if it hadn't have been the caps it might have been a dead flyback in the CRT drive or something equally terminal!

> Easily repaired /if/ you can
> solder PCB components, including, I fear, SMT ones.
>
> I cannot.

The current when-I-have-time-to-tinker-with-it project is http://flatpack.microwavepizza.co.uk/system/1/ - that's all through-hole (both for a suitably homebrewed appearance and because I started planning it before I'd done any SMT work), but these days I find surface-mount so much more pleasant to deal with!  Although I can see not counting soldering amongst one's skillset could represent a serious obstacle, indeed...

- BALJ (on a train in search of beer, please excuse any typos.  My kingdom for a tactile keyboard...)

---- Liam Proven wrote ----