[GEM Development] Fwd: More about GEM not going forward... More comments?

Michael Bernstein pcgem at mbernstein.de
Sat Jan 3 13:44:10 PST 2009

Hi Shane,

> I've become interested in GEM more for nostalgic reasons ...
>
> I really can't see any modern situation where GEM would be in anyway
> useful as more than an interesting toy.

Yes, more ore less also my opinion.

> 1/ An application framework for Object Pascal or C++ (both Turbo
> Pascal 5.5 and Turbo C++ 1.01 are available from the Borland Museum
> for free download).

For Turbo C i have a GEM library for download on my homepage.

> 3/ I'd like to play around with alternative desktop implementations. I
> don't know enough about how the GEM desktop is implemented yet to know
> how easy or hard that would be. I'd like to see a more application
> oriented rather than file management oriented desktop.

I think, more or less it is like write a GEM application with the
name desktop.app which is started by the AES. There are not much (or
no?) differences between the desktop and any other application.

> As for the implementation of GEM itself there is one thing I would
> like to play with - an implementation of the GEM API for Linux. I
> could see a number of single board systems with graphics support
> running an instance of GEM rather than X11 as the GUI.

My idea was to use Minix as the OS. But the idea comes a little late.
With Minix3 Tanenbaum build a small Unix linle OS with X11 for small
computers.

Best regards
Michael