[GEM Development] Fwd: More about GEM not going forward... More comments?

Shane Gough goughsw at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 03:41:43 PST 2009

Hi all,

After reading the most recent message from Jose it strikes me that
people are here for very different reasons.

I've become interested in GEM more for nostalgic reasons - I'm
currently running GEM in virtual machines (under Sun's VirtualBox on
Windows and Linux, Parallels on OS/X). GEM was very rare in my
environment, I only ever saw a few installations. Once Windows 3.1
came out it seemed to dissapear altogether. Looking at the
implementation of FreeGEM/OpenGEM is an interesting experience - how
it manages to do what it does in the minimal resources available
(something that wasn't available at the time it was in production
use).

I really can't see any modern situation where GEM would be in anyway
useful as more than an interesting toy. That said, it's a fun
environment to relive your past (or to see where modern GUI's and
systems came from). There are a few interesting projects I'd like to
play with on top of GEM:

1/ An application framework for Object Pascal or C++ (both Turbo
Pascal 5.5 and Turbo C++ 1.01 are available from the Borland Museum
for free download).

2/ An implementation of TinyPy (http://www.tinypy.org) with a IDE for
simple application development with GEM itself. Although TinyPy is a
limited subset of Python that fits into 64K this would still be quite
a push.

3/ I'd like to play around with alternative desktop implementations. I
don't know enough about how the GEM desktop is implemented yet to know
how easy or hard that would be. I'd like to see a more application
oriented rather than file management oriented desktop.

As for the implementation of GEM itself there is one thing I would
like to play with - an implementation of the GEM API for Linux. I
could see a number of single board systems with graphics support
running an instance of GEM rather than X11 as the GUI. Any system that
had kernel framebuffer support could potentially be a suitable host.
All you would need is the Linux kernel, busybox for core utilities and
GEM for the UI. Using a Linux kernel would give you support for
networking, a wide range of file systems and multitasking.

Anyway - read that as my introduction to the list :) If anyone knows
of current projects similar to the ones I've described above please
let me know. I'd be interested in contributing to an existing project
rather than starting a new one.

Regards,
Shane