[GEM Development] More about GEM not going forward... More comments?

Shane Gough goughsw at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 08:49:51 PST 2009

Just a quick aside - I once saw an installation of GEM/X (licensed
from DR by Siemens I guess, the 'About' window definitely said GEM/X
though) with some custom apps to drive SIMATIC/S5 control systems.
This was in the early 90's so my memory might be a bit faulty, but we
did set the PC up to show some output from Apollo Domain workstations
(re-badged as the Siemens WS30 range) via X. I was impressed by how
snappy the output was compared to Windows of the same era.

BTW: I've done some more research and found a list of GEM VDI & AES
function calls accessible from software interrupts on the PC platform,
now I'm trying to find suitable (low-level) document for the Atari
version of GEM and make sure I can match one to the other. This is an
excellent argument for the Wiki (one page per API call describing the
differences between implementations would be great).

Cheers,
Shane