[Bulk] Re: [GEM Development] Wanted: GST Publisher [WAS: (no subject)]

Davey dsbrain at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 20 14:28:39 PDT 2006

veganalex wrote:
> On 19/06/06, Ben A L Jemmett <ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Quoting veganalex <veganalex at gmail.com>:
>> > nope its not the pc1512...its got better specs than the pc1512 - its
>> > def. the pc5086
>>
>> In that case, it's not a 1986-vintage machine -- closer to 1990, 1991
>> I think.
>> The PC1512 was launched in 1986 (shipping with GEM/2), so they
>> wouldn't have
>> released a 5000-series for quite a while :)
>>
>> BTW, hope you get that Psion working -- the Organiser II was a nice
>> machine,
>> although my Model XP has sadly conked it (the power supply probably
>> pushed a few
>> too many volts at it, and it let the magic smoke out shortly afterwards).
>> Unfortunately you'll probably find it doesn't recognise dates past
>> 1999, but I'm
>> sure that won't be much of an issue :)
>

> as for the date problem...there is a fix that someone wrote....just
> the fact that it would take me years to input it, so i was going to
> wait untill i could send it down the comms-link i have for it, its
> hardly been used actually....bought on a basic shopping spree by my
> grandad years ago, then passed to my dad seeing as my grandad didn't
> want his wife (my nanny who is now deceased), and then about 2weeks
> ago it was passed on to me...i am just using a regular 9v battery in
> it at the moment because otherwise i'm scared of blowing it up (not
> that much power needed for the machine). I know that the higher end
> psion II (the LZ) which had a 4 line screen and was basically better,
> had no bug2k problem.
>
> as for the date of the PC5086, thinking about it...yes it would be
> later, but i am sure that i have seen earlier than that...it was
> pushed at (my grandad yet again), because basically the shop needed it
> gone, but the reasons they pushed rather than getting an intel 286
> machine, was the fact it had a decent gfx card/colour monitor...even
> though its an 8086. nearer to 1990 probably, but i thought the 386 was
> out by then? not too good on the dates of older computers/hardware -
> i'm only 13! youngest on the mailing list i bets :~P
>
> veganalex

Hi veganalex,
I'm sorry, I had no idea there even WAS an Amstrad PC5086. I googled and came up
with the basics on it at <http://www.clannet.co.uk/vintage/amspc5086.htm>

--------
PC 5086

Here we have another Amstrad PC. This PC came from a very kind donation by Neil
Broke (see donations page). It is a very neat compact PC, in an extremely small
box! I practically like the easy to use CMOS setup utility. In fact the only
thing I don't like about this PC is the location of the keyboard and mouse
ports. They are underneath the system unit, which makes them very fiddly to
insert and remove. It is also an XT model computer, (super XT to be exact,
according to the manual!) and requires that a special switch be set on the keyboard.

SPECIFICATIONS

Year of manufacture    Not known yet
Memory 		       640k
CPU 		       8086 processor
Speed 		       8mhz
Operating System       MS-DOS v3.30A
Storage (disk drives)  One 3 1/2 inch 720k floppy drive + 40mb hard drive
Display		       Any VGA monitor (I have Amstrads own)
Peripherals	       Parallel port/serial port built in. Two 8bit ISA expansion slots
--------

I don't think this was ever sold in the USA which is why I never knew of it.

Sincerely,
WarpDavey
--
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Ben Franklin