[GEM Development] Wanted: GST Publisher [WAS: (no subject)]

veganalex veganalex at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 18:29:15 PDT 2006

On 19/06/06, Ben A L Jemmett <ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> Quoting veganalex <veganalex at gmail.com>:
> > nope its not the pc1512...its got better specs than the pc1512 - its
> > def. the pc5086
>
> In that case, it's not a 1986-vintage machine -- closer to 1990, 1991 I think.
> The PC1512 was launched in 1986 (shipping with GEM/2), so they wouldn't have
> released a 5000-series for quite a while :)
>
> BTW, hope you get that Psion working -- the Organiser II was a nice machine,
> although my Model XP has sadly conked it (the power supply probably pushed a few
> too many volts at it, and it let the magic smoke out shortly afterwards).
> Unfortunately you'll probably find it doesn't recognise dates past 1999, but I'm
> sure that won't be much of an issue :)

as for the date problem...there is a fix that someone wrote....just
the fact that it would take me years to input it, so i was going to
wait untill i could send it down the comms-link i have for it, its
hardly been used actually....bought on a basic shopping spree by my
grandad years ago, then passed to my dad seeing as my grandad didn't
want his wife (my nanny who is now deceased), and then about 2weeks
ago it was passed on to me...i am just using a regular 9v battery in
it at the moment because otherwise i'm scared of blowing it up (not
that much power needed for the machine). I know that the higher end
psion II (the LZ) which had a 4 line screen and was basically better,
had no bug2k problem.

as for the date of the PC5086, thinking about it...yes it would be
later, but i am sure that i have seen earlier than that...it was
pushed at (my grandad yet again), because basically the shop needed it
gone, but the reasons they pushed rather than getting an intel 286
machine, was the fact it had a decent gfx card/colour monitor...even
though its an 8086. nearer to 1990 probably, but i thought the 386 was
out by then? not too good on the dates of older computers/hardware -
i'm only 13! youngest on the mailing list i bets :~P

veganalex