[GEM Development] GEM Networking (was RE: GEMWeb with ADSL or Cable)

Dostal, Chris E. Chris.Dostal at au.unisys.com
Fri Jul 16 12:40:56 PDT 2004

All,
What would be awesome .. 802.11b support in GEM.
Would be fairly easy to port from linux would it?
I don't know.. It's an out-there question based on postings I've seen
recently.
GEM-Wireless with GEM-Web?.. Mouthwatering.
Does anyone have any plans for GEM-FTP, GEM-MSN ? GEM-IRC?
I just wonder..

-------------------------
Peter,
G'day mate.. Good to see we've still got some posters here!

USB2 is a very good standard, USB 1.X was absolutely crap and I'd
suggest strongly if you can.. Get a USB 2 setup going with a hub and
"backwardscompatibilise" the older devices.
Due to some serious lack of standards in USB1.x we had half of the
manufacturers creating NEC "openhost" compliant devices and half.. Not..
A mixture would work with Via based chipsets and a mixture would work
with Intel.. It was a nightmare.

Get yourself a good quality USB2 PCI card and all your worries will
dissapear..
Personally, I had great results with one I got from dick smith.. (I
know.. I know.. Dick smith.. But it was discounted!)
Matched with a decent hub should work like a treat.

I definitely agree with laptop-usb being far more friendly, infact.. USB
was designed as a collection of ideas into one main standard for all
hardware platforms, embedded.. Etc.. Pity no one agreed and the
collection of ideas turned into a collection of standards!!!

By the way I saw an email about something in "Forbes".. Mannnnnnnnnnn
that's out the middle of no-where!!
I laughed tho, small towns are where I grew up (Bacchus marsh, about
half way between melbourne and ballarat).
My first memory of a phone was a giant pulse dialed thing that when it'd
ring, we'd answer and there'd be commonly someone on the other end
already mid-conversation and we'd know it wasn't for us..

Makes me laugh living in inner city suburbs now on a "3g" mobile surfing
the net from the train.. Annyway :-)