[GEM Development] GEMWeb with ADSL or Cable

Armand Colleye a.colleye at wxs.nl
Thu Jul 15 22:36:17 PDT 2004

Peter Green wrote:

> G'day again!
>
> Armand, you asked me to comment, but I'm not sure what part you wanted
> a comment on. If it's the DNS limits, I really don't know, though I
> use Win 2k. If that's the question, I can pass it on to someone more
> expert than myself.

Peter,
Heinz gave some answers/comment on my writing.
He generally agrees with my comment.

But for you and maybe others it's handy to know what DNS means and does.
DNS= Domain Name Server.
It translates a www-adres or a name for a domain to an IP-adres. So the
packages know where to travel.
If your first (your own?) server in the list does not know the answer
for the translation, a machanism is invokdes to ask a second server.
This is repeated until an answer is found or you the time-out is
reached. Whatever comes first.
Sorry to say, but I don't know, what mechanism is invoked and why/when
the second server on your own list is invoked.

> If you are talking about USB, I generally avoid it where I can, as I
> haven't found it entirely reliable. I have USB 1.1 on the board of my
> main computer, supporting a scanner and printer, but I can't connect
> other devices via a hub, as they destroy the scanner/printer
> installation, meaning I have to reinstall software to use them. My
> daughter's webcam is a special problem in this respect.

Maybe you should move to USB 2.x
USB was mentioned in this case because there are USB-ADSL modems on the
market.
This sounded like easy install and use.
But if you have 2 computers (like me :} ) and want to uses ADSL
simontaneausly then an ethernet-card deos the trick.
I have for example a speedtouch 510. This is a 4 port ADSL-modem router
in one.

> I also have a USB 2.0 card, which the computer knows is there, but
> that's all. I have crashed the computer a couple of times trying to
> use it, but mostly the computer just won't detect anything on that
> card. I suppose it keeps dust from collecting in that PCI slot. After
> the first time I tried to use it and the computer crashed, Windows
> Help disappeared, so there's no troubleshooting help now, not that
> that often does anything anyway.
>
> On the other hand, I also have a laptop with 1x USB 1.1 connexion and
> a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card, and they both work quite well. So maybe USB is
> only for laptops.
>
> I use a NIC in the desktop machine for the cable access.
>
> Have a fun and USB-free weekend.
>
> Peter
>
> Armand Colleye wrote:
>
>> Heinz Rath wrote:
>>
>>> hi
>>>
>>> i am not completly sure if i correctly understood what
>>> Armand mean.
>>>

>> Well Heinz, English is als not my first language.
>> So I have to try to put my thoughts in simple words. Like you do I
>> presume
>> Sorry if I can't help you, because you put your statement in front,
>> and not underneath my lines.
>> So I do not have any clue, which text-part you don't understand.
>>
>>> You can use GEMWeb to surf internet also with ADSL of Cable
>>> the only thing is you need is that your cable or adsl modem is
>>> connected threw a network card with your computer. For USB adsl
>>> modems i have no solution.
>>>

>> In the Netherlands the competition between the providers is strong.
>> You get more for less.
>> This means that the upload/donwload stream get bigger for the same or
>> less flat-fee per month.
>> Keep that in mind and that USB is a piece of hardware that is not
>> capable (in the end) to cope with such data quantity streams.
>> USB is invented after DOS. SO to have drivers to get USB under DOS is
>> difficult if not possible.
>>
>> In order to use GEMWEB you need the other vehicle, and that is a sort
>> of TXP/IP going is it not?
>>
>>> For example i am using cable. The trick do it is to simple
>>> use a pktdrvr for dos. that's it nothing more to do at least
>>> for me as i have a fixed ip. If you have a dynamic ip you would
>>> habe to search for a dhcp client.
>>>
>>> there is a little update for GEMWeb needed. you can download it
>>> here.
>>> http://www.geocities.com/heinz_rath/gemwupd.zip
>>>
>>> here you can find some packet drivers
>>> http://www.crynwr.com/drivers/00index.html
>>>

>> Well thanks for the URL's :))
>>
>>> you can also use the msclient network to surf with gemweb. i think
>>> i have here still a mail on my harddisk which describes how it
>>> works...(i think the file protocol.ini needs change) i will search
>>> it out if you need it.
>>>
>>> the trick is simply set packet interrupt to 0x60
>>> and then make this changes to wattcp.cfg
>>> IP=x.x.x.x
>>> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>>> GATEWAY=x.x.x.x