[GEM Development] GEM Networking (was RE: GEMWeb with ADSL or Cable)

Peter Green pspete1 at pnc.com.au
Thu Jul 22 01:49:58 PDT 2004

This is a combined answer to Armand and Chris. Sorry I didn't answer
before, but, over the past two weekends both our girls have moved into
their own flats. Picture me puffing up four floors carrying a 51cm TV...
something like a walrus out of water. Then, to cap it off, one of the
blokes from our church fell 6m from a power pole he was working on, so
I've been across Sydney a couple of times to the hospital. Somehow,
quite a few e-mails seem to have fallen out of my view!

First, thanks for the information about DNS... I had a rough idea (my
son breezed through one evening while I was writing scripts to get my
computers talking to each other and said, "You'd be better to look at
DNS.") This gives me a bit more background.

Second, thanks to both of you for what you've said about USB. Actually,
in recent weeks, we've upgraded at work, and USB 2.0 works quite happily
there, too. If only I can get the card and my computer chatting at
home... It sounds worth persevering with, anyway. I've found that the
USB 1.1 port that my scanner is on is not too bad for digital camera and
removable USB storage device anyway. I think the computer ignores the
scanner because it is mainly switched off. On the other hand, it has
even grumbled about my unplugging the storage thingy after I've done all
the right hardware removal things.

I have a Motorola Surfboard cable modem at home, connected to a network
card, and this will eventually go to the linux box which will then feed
to two or three points around the house. Due to the rearrangement of
space in the house now that there are no children living with us, the
study will return to its original position from 20 years ago, and the
space where I currently have my desk and a variety of bookcases will be
emptied of all but a fridge, a server and a switch. -- and maybe a
phone, seeing there's a jack out here.

Your Bacchus Marsh phone would have been very similar to my Aunty
Panse's black monster at the Forbes farm (Grenfell, actually, but it was
all leading Bushranger country in Gardner's days). From memory, there
was no dial: you had to wind a handle a vcertain number of turns in
various directions, something like opening a safe, only much quicker.
And then the wrong person would answer, same as at Bacchus Marsh. My
memories of the device are dim, as the last time I went there I was 7,
which makes it about 51 years ago.

3g web surfing? I'm very impressed!

Well, good night, all!

Peter