[GEM Development] The problem with the window animation

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 27 18:26:59 PDT 2005

: Is there any way to disable this function by default, and perhaps to
: have it as an option in the preferences?  The animation is great on a
: machine it works on, but it's not going to work properly on the vast
: majority of machines it'll be downloaded onto.

  I've uploaded an alternative AES to
<http://www.seasip.info/Gem/aeses.html> (note new URI for AES downloads!)
which uses the BIOS high-resolution timer for its delays rather than
busy-waiting. This should get on better with Windows' idle detection.
  The problem with it (from my point of view as a GEM purist) is that
it makes the AES dependent on the PC BIOS, which up to now it hasn't
been. I also don't know how well it would get on with XTs that don't have
a high-res timer; still, that's what testers are for, isn't it?

--
------------- http://www.seasip.demon.co.uk/index.html --------------------
John Elliott           |BLOODNOK: "But why have you got such a long face?"