[GEM Development] bug with the desktop? _ENTER A DOS COMMAND

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 28 01:11:00 PDT 2005

John Elliott wrote:

>i) Your ICN files don't seem to match your DESKTOP.INF; EXE files, for
>example, display with the 'multimedia' icon. I imagine this is because
>you're using the most recent ICN files from my copy of the Desktop, but the
>DESKTOP.INF is designed for an older version. I would suggest making at
>least the following amendments:
>#G2444 SYSFONT.APP@ *.PSF@
>#G1F3F EDICON.APP@ *.ICN,*.ICO@
>#G1C3C BASIC2.AOO@ *.BAS@

I'm going to manually fix all the file associations.  In the meantime,
I've removed them all, and added only the three you've sent me.  I'll
sort through the rest in a later Beta.

>ii) You've got spaces in the #G082A DESKTOP.APP@ line, which means that
>double-clicking BAT and CFG files doesn't do a 'show contents' as you might
>expect. Of course, if you fix this by removing the spaces, it means BAT
>files are no longer runnable from the Desktop.

Ah.  Okay.  I got rid of the spaces in the latest Beta (Beta 3).

At the moment I do NOT want people to automatically execute batchfiles
through doubleclicking.  The reason is that OpenGEM works on batchfiles,
and if people doubleclick they could start another instance of OpenGEM
and crash themselves, or something like this.  Perhaps I'm wrong to want
this feature disabled?  What are your thoughts?

I believe that it's more useful for people to be able to see inside
batchfiles by doubleclicking, and then they can always open them in a
text editor if they want to edit them.  This way, the desktop acts as an
easy automatic viewer for these files.  A useful function I believe.

Regards

Shane

PS:  Thanks for the ENTER DOS COMMAND bugfix!