[GEM Development] The problem with the window animation

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 28 00:13:15 PDT 2005

I wrote:
:   The problem with it (from my point of view as a GEM purist) is that
: it makes the AES dependent on the PC BIOS, which up to now it hasn't
: been.

  OK; that's all sorted out and I've accordingly uploaded a new version to
<http://www.seasip.info/Gem/aeses.html> with these changes:

1. The high-res timer call has been moved to the screen driver where it
  belongs.
2. You therefore need to download a modified VGA driver from
  <http://www.seasip.info/Gem/gengem.html>. Otherwise the animation will be
  too fast to see.
3. The delay is now a user-settable option in GEM.CFG (though SETTINGS.APP
  hasn't yet been updated to support it). The entry should read something
  like:

GEM.AES.ZoomDelay: 00001800

where the number is a hexadecimal number of microseconds, so the lower the
number the faster the animation. Set the number to 00000000 for maximum
speed.

--
------------- http://www.seasip.demon.co.uk/index.html --------------------
John Elliott           |BLOODNOK: "But why have you got such a long face?"