[GEM Development] DayDream (was NextGem..)

Rev Peter R Green pspete1 at pnc.com.au
Mon Sep 29 14:35:13 PDT 2003

G'day!

Well, I would have to say that I have ratehr mixed feelings about what
is going on in the group at present. I can fully understand what you and
several others are saying, Chris; and your suggestion would be one
option. The point is well made that our GEM folders are filling with
what may prove to be very off-topic postings. On the other hand...

As I have read Shane's comments, it seems to me that
(1) he is making a serious effort to address some of the issues which
have bugged this group for quite a while, particularly the question of
whether GEM can or should be redirected so as roughly to match the
capabilities of contemporary "junk" computers -- the fast 486s and
classic Pentiums which are now appearing in the industrial discards
outlets, or whether it should survive as long as possible as a true
bottom end GUI for the XT, 286 and 386 computers that the industrial
discards places put in the scrap bins.
(2) his Linux-GEM idea has a point, but it would probably succeed only
at the expense of both Linux and GEM as we know them... but I am more
than willing to be corrected on this perception!
(3) a useful level of conflict is developing, and it could be
counter-productive to stifle it right now. Frankly, I have been
considering doing a Peter Sieg for a little while, because GEM seems to
have seriously stagnated. In saying this, I do not intend to denigrate
what Shane has been doing with 16-bit GEM. What I mean is that (as Shane
seems to see) the FreeGEM 3 or whatever really takes GEM about as far as
it can go. Erin C "began" the idea of a complete distribution; Shane has
made that idea work in a more sophisticated manner. But there isn't much
hope of a FreeGEM 4 as things stand.
Conflict (and I personally hate conflict, Dr Freud...!) is one of the
most important catalysts of change and progress, and will stimulate a
lot of thought which we would otherwise be too sleepy to institute.
(4) Managed, the conflict could lead to creative new paths for GEM;
stifled, it will probably kill the group; left to run without any
guidance, it will probably frighten the timid among us into ignoring GEM
until everything seems safe again.

My suggestion is that we should not end Shane's NextGEM "thinking
aloud", but should critique it, compare and contrast it with other ideas
such as combining it with one of the 32 bit DOSes beginning to appear;
and do some clear thinking about what the future of GEM -- if there is
one -- should be. Use it, don't kill it.

But I will return to you for a moment, Shane, and comment that I suspect
that you are thinking aloud a trifle prematurely. You seem to be one or
two Linux steps ahead of me, but that still leaves a lot of
unfamiliarity. I know you have been listening to Liam's input on Linux
and why it does some of what it does. I'm unsure how your need to get
some clearer ideas can be addressed. Maybe you need to get some of your
ideas down in a very structured form so that you can ask more focused
questions, get the answers you need on the more basic stuff, and then
bring it back to this forum.

And, yes, ultimately our GEM may have to be split. A few more facets
rarely spoils a diamond, though... But is this the right time?

Peter