[GEM Development] DayDream (was NextGem..)

Dostal, Chris E. chris.dostal at au.unisys.com
Mon Sep 29 10:46:53 PDT 2003

This is perhaps a duel response/questioning to both Ben and Shane.

<snip>
> Yes, I am planning on skinning KDE for a specific purpose.  As I was
saying
> to Liam a while back, I want to be able to use Unix in an easy way.

As far as I can see, that has nothing to do with GEM and as such really
isn't appropriate for this mailing list.  As I said, I don't mind the odd
off-topic discussion, but it sounds to me like this is the main thrust of
your new project -- in that case, it's likely to become more than the odd
discussion.  It's obviously a laudable aim, but I'm sure there are better
places to discuss it.
</snip>

Hate to take sides, but I see your point Ben.
On this list, we've had little off-topic/side-topic "spark threads" that have thrusted our mailboxes over-quota.
All we need now is a re-vamp of the Emma Bunton messages? :P~

How about setting up a small e-mail list/mail list Shane?
This way us gemmers (like myself) will subscribe/participate, and those that don't want to.. won't be bothered :)
To stop confusion perhaps put a GEM/II header in the subject line?

<Snip>
Everyone's heard of Windows, after all!  On the other hand,
those who want to run GEM on Unix may well not want to install a new Unix
distribution to take advantage of that ability.
</snip>

Very true.
Hence my original comment re: some sort of GEM-WINE? But not sure if this is do-able.

<snip>
> Yes, some of what I am doing is far removed from GEM, some of it is
> not.  On the whole however I am trying to do something that will allow GEM
> development to progress in a new direction.
</snip>

Thought I'd reply to this comment too Shane..
See someone like me reads the above thread and immediately thinks "ah man.. someone trying something new again".

I have to admit when I read your post on what NextGEM entailed I personally found it a little blasphamist, thinking someone was leveraging the name/enthusiasm of GEM and GEM users to develop a new product.

When I sat and thought about it I thought, hey in a way this guys promoting it.. and inturn, might spark some users to get an old box up and running, develop some real mode "*.app" and port it to there old box running dos and freegem. - Which is kinda what spurred me onto posting "daydream".

Either way, I wanted to let you know personally Shane that I do feel asthough your intentions are quite good, and genuine.. but I have to say, keep it to a seperate list, for civil sake :)

Regs,

Chris Dostal

Service Level Co-Ordinator

UNISYS Imagine It. Done.