[GEM Development] DayDream (was NextGem..)

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 27 00:10:48 PDT 2003

>   There have been some recent patches to DOSEMU to improve transparent
> launching of DOS apps from Unix (translating Unix paths to DOSEMU paths,
> that sort of thing). It should be possible to do the same for GEM apps.

So, we are getting close to the point where a Unix system can run GEM apps
transparently?  If your AES runs okay (when it does!) and DOSEMU is tweaked,
it's pretty much a go.
So, Shane transitioning to Unix for his next project is not so far from
OpenGEM as it seems.  Ahem.  Taps foot.
Lame indeed.
Shane envisages Unix > GEM for low end machines as an option (and providing
support for OpenGEM once we get the networking sorted)
Unix > KDE for higher end machines.
Something like NetBSD can boot from 400kb.  A 386 should run NetBSD (with
networking), DOSEMU and GEM methinks.

Regards

Shane
http://gem.shaneland.co.uk