[GEM Development] DayDream (was NextGem..)

John Elliott jce at seasip.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 27 00:27:57 PDT 2003

:
: >   There have been some recent patches to DOSEMU to improve transparent
: > launching of DOS apps from Unix (translating Unix paths to DOSEMU paths,
: > that sort of thing). It should be possible to do the same for GEM apps.
:
: So, we are getting close to the point where a Unix system can run GEM apps
: transparently?  If your AES runs okay (when it does!) and DOSEMU is tweaked,
: it's pretty much a go.

  You don't need a 32-bit AES to run existing GEM apps under Unix. What it
would be used for is running Unix-native GEM apps. Also remember that
until it can be hooked up to a Unix VDI, the apps will still show all their
user interface through a DOSEMU window in glorious 640x480x16. Hmm. Perhaps
I should experiment with hooking bits of OSIS up to my remote VDI server.

  And a word of caution: Remember that I've tried doing a 32-bit AES once
before. It was for DJGPP and I never got beyond the unstable dodgy
prototype stage (quite apart from all the bugs in various DPMI hosts, the
non-re-entrant nature of DJGPP's DPMI glue code, etc. etc.) This project
may still go the same way.

------------- http://www.seasip.demon.co.uk/index.html --------------------
John Elliott           |BLOODNOK: "But why have you got such a long face?"