[GEM Development] GEM apps

Warwick Barnes warwick.barnes at zetnet.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 02:08:03 PDT 2003

Below is a copy of a list I posted some years ago,I seem to think I
tried all these companies with a view to getting them to release the
software on free license, the only success as I remember was Artline.
The rest either ignored me, claimed it was too difficult;- sub licenses
etc, or just downright refused. Some might be willing now to allow this
if somebody chased it up, but I wouldnt hold your breath.
I have aquired some additional material, but no more boxed sets. I hope
it won't all disapear, but I am not in a position to flout copyright by
openly publishing it. There is some GEM stuff on my site which as far as
I know is GNU type license and therefore can be freely distributed.

I dont create much documentation these days, and usually use Textpad and
PSP which satisfies most of my needs but if I need a word processor I
still use 1st word plus and I still use draw to create basic vector
images. I have ventura proff , timesworks publisher and Gempublisher but
havent used these, any or any others, for many years.

GEM APPLICATIONS I HAVE
     ARTLINE 2  10.02 1990    Full box plus disk images on hard disk
 Basic (Locomotive) 2    1998    plus manual
 Dataman v1.1              GST   manual and disks This is a very
friendly relational
                                                  database
 Davrelle.app soft image systems, a presentation graphics multimedia
thingy of mind
                              boggling sophistication Full box
 DRDOODLE       a doodling programme came with Amstrad set up disks
 DRAW v 2.01 (Draw Plus)  july 1st 1987   Full box  (prob draw 1 as well)
 GRAPH 1.01 feb 12 1988        Full box
 Install.app  v?               possibly more than 1
 Gem Presentation Team   Full box
 Socrates  v1.6                Full box  computer based authoring
system. Socrates- Software Solutions Ltd.
 Timesworks Publisher V1 V2 & LITE   (& Poss a manual) by GST in UK but
originally USA GAS??
 Paint 2.01 january 07 1988       (almost certainly 1 as well)
 Ventura Publisher Gold Series 3 (Ventura Proffesional) Full Box  Xerox
 Wordchart v1.0   april 22 1996   Full Box
 Wordplus 2.01 (1st word plus) GST 1987-1989     Full box
  plus 1stmail.app v2.01 GST 87/89
  convert.app  v2.01 GST 1987
  dicmerge.app GST 1987-89 dictionary merge programme
   fontmerge/width.app several versions
  *NB GST product usually says if licensed to DR.
 Maped.app  part of graph ? package
 output.app various 1.2 to 4.0
 Typographica Font manager for GEM  (The original almost certainly
virused with TWO PART virus
 a verynasty speciman, But somebody gave me an unvirused copy) and some fonts.
 Bitstream Font Manager    for GEM
 DESKTOP.APP release 3.11 january 18th 1989 plus others from 1.? to 3.?
some manuals
 ACC's calclock  and snapshot a display grabber

 ALSO got novells DRdos 6.2 with netware LITE a really nice package for
home networking.
  but not entirely happy to live with other versions of
  netware except as client.And DRdos 3.1? viewmax etc.
 Artline 2 runs under it's own version of GEM and needs dos3.1 or higher
to run
   or GDOS 3.91 . Uses DRIES.EXE Gem application environment services
   version 4.0   dated 05/30/90. contains PLINK86 overlay loader (C)Phoenix
   Software Associates Ltd.   Also DRIVIDI.EXE 31 mar 89 Graphical Device
   Operating system   1985 -1990 (GDOS 4.0 04/14/90). The OUTPUT.APP is
version 4
   and was compiled with Borland TurboC in august 1990. The package also
   contains an uprated vga driver which I have transferred successfully
to GEM 3.11
   I forget how but it can't be too difficult.

   I also have some shareware  Mossburn graphics scalefonts and
   Another programme in the Ventura Directory labled an image file reader
    GEMSCOOP.EXE (no I don't know what it does)    from Alchemy Mindworks.
   Reg Fee $10 or reg + source code for turboC and
   Microsoft Assembler $25.00 Part of a collection
           The programs included in this collection are
   GCAP-GEM/IMG graphics screen capture
   TCAP-GEM/IMG text screen capture
   HP-SLASH-LaserJet Plus soft font file reducer
   MAC2IMG-MacPaint to GEM/IMG translator
   MAC2PCX-MacPaint to PC Paintbrush translator
   MCOPY-Multiple file copier
   MACSCOOP-MacPaint file reader
   GEMSCOOP-GEM/IMG file reader
   PCXSCOOP-PC Paintbrush file reader
   VFM-Ventura font machine

               Plus TESTFILE.MAC, a MacPaint file to try some of the
above with.
As well as application guides user guides and installation guides, I
have a quite
interesting Book "A Programmers Guide To GEM" by Barry Howling and
Andrew Pepper
Sigma Press 1998 ISBN1-85058-084-7 The book is based around the PTK v
1.2u and the
Lattice C compiler v2.14 and gives considerable detail on building a
programme including
a terminal emulator as an example.

Other GEM stuff includes:-
Scan
Perform -forms generator program
Mipscalc -financial spreadsheeet with presentation graphics
superbase -spreadsheet?
Tape.acc -macro record playback
VTX-PC -a GEM terminal
Zedit -a GEM editor
Freemem.acc
Office.acc - GEMoffice
1stview -file viewer works as both .app & .acc
Text to GEM -converts 48 lines of text to GEM draw file
TrTp2GEM -true type fonts to GEM fonts

Also got concurrent DOS386 somewhere - DRs mutitasking DOS
--
If you received this through the miracle of modern technology then all
is well; if not then situation normal.