[GEM Development] GEMini fan mail

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 13 10:44:41 PDT 2003

Name: Robert Madewell

OpenGEM version: GEMini Release 1

DOS version: FreeDOS Beta 8 or below

Processor type: 486

Amount of RAM: 4meg or above

I have the following suggestions: I am impressed with GEMini. I just
installed GEMini on a 486 with FreeDOS Beta 8 (upgraded kernel). In my
opinion, GEMini makes a better file manager than DOSSHELL did. There are a
few things that I would like to see in GEMini. A run command dialog box
would be an improvment. To type a single dos command, I currently have to
drop out of GEM into a fullscreen DOS console. It would be an imrovement to
be able to type the command in a dialog box. Another improvment would be
menu shortcuts to often used programs or a way to add these menu items.
Whether or not you take my advice for improvments, GEMini is a great piece
of software. I am especially happy that GEMini fits on a single floppy and
still has room to grow. Keep up the wonderful work.