John's desktop not building? Was: Re: [GEM Development] GEMini - a GUI file commander for FreeDOS

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 16:15:00 PDT 2003

> Hm.  Well, I downloaded John's desktop, his Pacific C resource
construction
> set, Pacific C, and I put them all on one place.

The resource construction set?  I think you need the Programmer's Toolkit
instead, but it's probably better that you don't dive in at the deep end :)

> I opened the Desktop PRJ
> file, and I thought to myself...hm...let's see if it compiles.  Errors.

Well, I downloaded the source and opened DESKTOP.PRJ in Pacific, made my
changes, compiled and the resulting binary didn't work properly.  No
crashes; it looks like it's not reading DESKTOP.INF properly, since no
windows are opened and I get three disk icons stuck on top of each other in
the bottom left -- 'I' (labelled 'K'), ' ' (labelled 'ISK') and 'a'
(labelled 'ket').  Some menu items aren't greyed out when they should be,
including some separator bars.

Obviously I mucked something up, so I unzipped a fresh copy, compiled it
without making any changes and it does the same thing.  Looking at the two
supplied .APPs and the newly compiled one:

 Directory of D:\ppddesk

30/09/2002  19:12               51,606 DESKTOP.APP
30/09/2002  18:30               80,684 DESKTOPL.APP
09/10/2003  15:00               53,150 GEMINI.APP

The (fresh!) downloads I'm using for this are:

http://www.seasip.info/Gem/Software/ppddesk3.zip
http://www.seasip.info/Gem/Software/ppd_gdk.zip
http://www.htsoft.com/files/pacific/pacific.exe

John, any idea what I'm doing wrong?  Probably something stupid I've done to
Pacific, since I'm far more used to the HC/RASM86/LINK86 the DRI source
uses.

Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.
(http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ben.jemmett/, http://www.deltasoft.com/)