[GEM Development] GEMini - a GUI file commander for FreeDOS

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 9 15:48:59 PDT 2003

> > Perhaps I should open the desktop (after downloading Pacific C)
> > and try it myself.  I confess I am scared though.
>
> It's not too tricky, although I suppose I'm biased when I say that :)

Hm.  Well, I downloaded John's desktop, his Pacific C resource construction
set, Pacific C, and I put them all on one place.  I opened the Desktop PRJ
file, and I thought to myself...hm...let's see if it compiles.  Errors.
Does it make?  Errors.  Argh.  Sobs.  So begins the darkness.

> Here's something I noticed with my desktop and never got around to asking
> about on-list: is there a hard limit on items in folders in John's
Desktop?
> I think there is in mine -- \WINNT\SYSTEM32 appears to stop somewhere
around
> the files beginning with C, which strikes me as odd.  Might be a problem
for
> a file manager, although I don't know if people will hit it under DOS.  A
> quick look through various files shows a limit of 400 FNODEs, which
> represent files, so that might be it.

The most files I have in one place is 393, so perhaps John's desktop suffers
from the same limitation.  It's impossible for me to say.  John?

Regards

Shane

PS: I am going to play with Pacific C, but I have no idea what I am doing.
You know the thing about Monkeys, typewriters, and Shakespeare?  Ditto.
Only I'm not going to be the monkey with Macbeth.