[GEM Development] GEMini - a GUI file commander for FreeDOS

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 15:35:22 PDT 2003

> Perhaps I should open the desktop (after downloading Pacific C)
> and try it myself.  I confess I am scared though.

It's not too tricky, although I suppose I'm biased when I say that :)

> Well, I don't want to do that BECAUSE...I have an idea to make little
> add-ons for this mini distro,

Fair enough.  Of course, you could just add the relevant lines to
DESKTOP.INF to make selected applications show up as apps, but...  It's not
worth it anyway, since the core of GEMini is a real GEM, not a cutdown
version a la ViewMAX.

Here's something I noticed with my desktop and never got around to asking
about on-list: is there a hard limit on items in folders in John's Desktop?
I think there is in mine -- \WINNT\SYSTEM32 appears to stop somewhere around
the files beginning with C, which strikes me as odd.  Might be a problem for
a file manager, although I don't know if people will hit it under DOS.  A
quick look through various files shows a limit of 400 FNODEs, which
represent files, so that might be it.

Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.
(http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ben.jemmett/, http://www.deltasoft.com/)