[simpits-tech] CanBus F-15C project relaunch!

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Jan 30 13:41:26 PST 2023

On Mon, 30 Jan 2023, JOHN POWELL wrote:

> I lean in the massive overkill direction. It reduces cabling and makes
> it much easier to pull a misbehaving unit and test it on the bench. Cost
> is low. An ESP32 dev board can be had for about $7. It only needs a
> transceiver chip to talk CAN. At least that's what's advertised. Up to
> now I've been in the Arduino + MCP2515 camp, but Arduino and ESP32 price
> trends are nudging me out. I recently got ESP32s and xcvr chips, but
> that particular project hasn't popped off the stack. (I've got to get
> the digital-to-synchro Ebook done before it grows any bigger.)

My concern with the ESP32 board is how it would perform basically inside a
faraday cage, with the bonus of a bunch of struture that could cause
severe multi-pathing problems.  I'd probably need an AP inside the front
avionics bay. :)

> That said, I/O architecture depends on what you're starting with, what you've got, and where you plan to go.

Yep.  I think a combination of a Teensy and CANBus might be the way to go,
but supplies of Teensy boards have been problematic for quite a while.
Maybe a Pi Pico would be a good choice there - they're super cheap and
easily obtainable...