[simpits-tech] F-15C project relaunch!

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Jan 30 07:01:21 PST 2023

On Mon, 30 Jan 2023, Michi Hirczy wrote:

> Very, very nice, video, Gene, thx for the insights!
>
> First of all,  congrats to the cancer fight, didn't know about it until
> today!

Thanks!

> I really, really got a lot of flashbacks from your story, because it's
> so quite similar to mine:
> software developer, and when I started basically no crafting knowledge
> except cutting some wood with a jigsaw and drilling and screwing with a
> battery drill.
>
> Now, 25 years later, I have more or less a fully equipped machine shop,
> a fully equiped woodshop, a CNC desktop mill, 2 3D printers and a laser
> cutter...
>
> ... AND am able to operate all of them (more or less) succesfully.

Yep.  Nothing makes you learn a skill faster than the combination of a
pressing need and the lack of funds to get someone else to do it. :D

> Same with electronics - no idea of anything, and as you said, nowadays
> it's as simple as googling some "Arduino"-projectinfo and you're good to
> go...
> CAD?? I did learn basic geometric drawing in highschool, now I can
> design and build a whole altimeter from scratch :-D
>
> Really interesting journey, isn't it?

Absolutely!

> BTW, is the ladder seen the remnants from Fred? Or did you build a new
> one? What happened to Fred?

Ha!  I'd completely forgotten about Fred (a stair). :D

The access platforms are both "new".  When I moved to my current residence
in 2006, I had a steel box beam frame built for the cockpit.  That raised
it quite a bit in comparison to where it was on the wooden 4x4 frame.  One
of my projects is to add storage drawers to them so I can keep all the
F-15 parts closer to where I need them. :)  Unfortunately, 30" drawer
slides are just insanely priced, so I'm going to have to make my own.
Tons cheaper, but takes more time.