[simpits-tech] Digital to Synchro Interface Project

JOHN POWELL mike.powell at comcast.net
Fri Jan 13 10:59:09 PST 2023

Here's a status update on a project I've been working on approximately forever. This is the current incarnation of a digital to synchro interface. It is intended for use with simple synchro receiver style gauges, as opposed to more complex instruments incorporating servo loops.

This version uses low cost class-D audio power amplifiers to drive the synchro. It does not require a 400Hz power source. It operates at about 40% of the spec synchro voltages which seems to work just fine. I just received some transformers  that might be useful if higher voltages are needed or if transformer isolation is desired. It can be operated at frequencies below 400Hz which should increase synchro torque.

Interfacing is through the Nano's USB port of through a CAN Bus module.

Cost containment and parts availability are design goals for this version so there are lots of simple, cheap parts rather than a few complex $$$ parts.