[simpits-tech] 3D printer

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Fri Jan 13 07:07:26 PST 2023

On Fri, 13 Jan 2023, Michi Hirczy wrote:

> aaargh, I just found the "Reply List" button in thunderbird :-D
>
> sorry gene and david for spamming... :-)

:D

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6JOwjbVbo
>
> @Gene, I never read about EMF protection diodes during my research.
> I found one post, where a guy who builds automotive gauges
> professionally said, he only uses the Arduino, nothing else.
> Could you give me some hints about them?

The basic idea is to prevent the de-energizing coils in the stepper from
back-feeding voltage to the controller, damaging it.  (I'm sure David or
others can correct me on this if I've got the explanation wrong.)

Here's a schematic for the boards I had made years ago:
https://www.geneb.org/switec/stepper%20mounting%20board.pdf

The diodes are surface mount.

I need to get back to that project very soon.