[simpits-tech] Bass shakers and my Simpit

Freeman Pascal pascal at pascal.org
Thu May 7 21:34:17 PDT 2020

I ordered a BFF Bass Shaker V2 board from bffsimulation.com, and a used
Buttkicker LFE from Ebay. The LFE arrived today and Ian sent confirmation
that the board was in the mail today also.

I will be mounting this on my to be built Cessna 172 simpit. I was thinking
of having a frame with a floating platform on which my seat and cockpit
would be mounted. The LFE would be mounted somewhere underneath the
platform around the front edge of my seat. The seat is a passenger seat
from a van that still has it's slides and mounts. The position and the seat
back are adjustable.

I was thinking of a unistrut frame on which I would have mount points with
automotive push springs as floats for the platform with the seat and
cockpit. Locking casters would be used to support and move the rig around.

I was curious if anyone has done something like this, specifically the
frame style and the use of the Buttkicker LFE for tactile feedback? What is
your experience, and would you do and not do?

I may switch it up with a DC motor with an offset pulley and lead weights
as a transducer. I could then mount the LFE further front and along the
aircraft lateral axis to better simulate motor motion transferred through
the dash.

I fly exclusively in VR using an Oculus Rift S with X-Plane 11 and
PilotEdge. I love the immersion of VR. The cockpit is primarily for tactile
interaction for muscle learning  procedures. Engine switches, yoke,
throttle, mixture, flaps, brakes, radios/avionics, will all be in their
intended positions. I want to find the switch or control where it should be
in relation to the position I see in VR (I fly the AirfoilLabs Cessna 172).
They don't need to be exact, but close enough that I won't have problems
finding them when I reach out in VR. Initially displaying gauges and
avionics displays is not important - though, I will not go out of my way to
remove or avoid a button panel for simulated avionics if it has a display.
I even have an iPad I use for Fly GPS pilot software that I import the
display into VR with me and it connects to X-Plane's GPS/ADSb output.
Unfortunately, I have an older iPad mini that only runs IOS 9.x, so I can't
run ForeFlight.

Expected simpit config:

  * X-Plane 11
  * i7 extreme 4.3 Ghz six core machine with 32GB RAM, RTX 2070, SSDs for
X-Plane,
    Oculus Rift S VR headset
  * Platform described as above
  * Engine cluster from Desktop Aviator
  * Diagma TPM cluster with trim, carb heat, flaps, and gear.
  * BFF force feedback yoke (to be built)
  * Jeppson rudder with toe brakes (from FAA certified sim)
  * Full gauges, with adjustment controls with monitor mounted from behind
  * Full avionics matching AirfoilLabs C172 (slash G): KT-26 audio panel
(DIY),
    Garmin G430 (DIY), Com/Nav 2 (Nuna Simulations), transponder (DIY),
autopilot
    (Propwash), DME (DIY)
  * Trim
  * Fuel switch and cutoff