[simpits-tech] FreeCAD

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Wed Oct 1 05:54:22 PDT 2014

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014, Brian Sikkema wrote:

> Anyone use/familiar with the program FreeCAD? Just found it and started
> playing around, but wondering if it's as good as it seems to be before I
> dedicate much time to learning it in depth.

It's pretty good for a free tool, but you might want to check out
DesignSpark Mechanical.  They took SpaceClaim and stripped the export down
to STL only and give it away in order to promote it for use with 3D
printers.

An inexpensive option would be Cubify Design.
http://cubify.com/Products/Design

My understanding is that it was originally Alibre, then became GeoMagic
and is now Cubify Design.  There's a 14 day free trial, so give it a shot.

If you're going to get into 3D design seriously, you MUST get a Space
Pilot or a Space Navigator.  The Space Pilot is available on eBay for
under $50 in many cases and new Space Navigators are around $80, new.