[simpits-tech] Simpits-tech Digest, Vol 128, Issue 5

Justin Messenger jjmessenger at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 20:23:13 PDT 2014

>Keep us posted, I am curious as to how this goes. My biggest concern
with steppers is, what if the instrument never gets around (or takes a
long time) to the "home" sensor? Ergo, you might have a sensor at 0*,
>but if your HSI (for instance) runs for 2 hours on a long flight and
never goes beyond the range of, say, 180* and 270*, will a stepper keep
>its position well enough to not "drift" the HSI? What sort of sensors
>(and how many) do 3D printers use?

Dont most HSI's have a knob for correcting gyro drift? it gives you a (good) reason to check the compass. I know, its stepper would drift too.

I doubt an F-15 sim will ever stay on the same heading for such a long time.  My F-4 never has. 10 minutes is about max :)

The flightIllusion stepper motor driven instruments never drifted on me. They stayed calibrated.

Justin