[simpits-tech] Disruptive tech, flight sim edition...

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Fri Sep 27 06:42:46 PDT 2013

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013, Matt Bailey wrote:

> I could see flight simmers who are currently in the TrackIR and
> simpler built-up cockpit level using it as well....I bet it would be
> worlds better than TrackIR and three big monitors, or even a big
> projector on a flat screen. I don't see it replacing the more advanced
> projection systems, however.

Well think about this - you've built yourself a nice 737 cockpit and want
to do visuals for it.  Do you a) spend a Metric Buttload of money building
either a collimated display, or a multi-projector curved screen or other
projector and computer eating system...

Or do you mount "panes" of retro-reflective fabric in all the window
frames in the cockpit and then don a castAR and go fly?  Note that because
of how it works, two people can use the same display surfaces at the same
time, so your co-pilot could use a castAR as well and see the same outside
view and such as you do.  This would come close to replacing collimated
displays because you could theoretically assign a position offset to each
castAR so each pilot would see a view that's correctly positioned in the
horizontal plane on the flight deck.

This thing is such a game changer it blows my mind _constantly_.  People
can now build cockpits of whatever bubble canopy equipped plane they like
and get excellent results.  All those neat little single seaters like the
RV-3 and -4. Maybe a Grob 115 motor glider, or ANY glider for that matter.

Here's another point - now that you don't have to haul around a few
thousand dollars of projectors and a heavy screen, DIY motion bases
become practical.

I want this thing so bad I can practically taste it. *sigh*

Technical Illusions is only a couple hours north of me - maybe I'll be
able to waggle a tour. :D