[simpits-tech] flightsim.com forum...

Matt Bailey dabigboy at cox.net
Tue Oct 1 21:19:37 PDT 2013

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 21:48:38 +0000 (UTC)
raysot at comcast.net wrote:

<snip>
> My passion waned even further this year after finally admitting that
> the basement needed to be waterproofed, having experienced water in
> the basement every year for the past 5 years was enough. As the
> contractors and diggers came in, the sim had to go out. It is now
> sitting in pieces in a porta-pod outside on the street with no hope
> of spooling up again until March 2014.

Sometimes it's best to just move on to the next thing you really want
to engage in...and who knows, chances are you will wander back into
flight sims after a while and be reinvigorated. I remember back when I
was losing interest in simming before I had a cockpit. I reached a point
where I just simply could not enjoy sitting in front of a keyboard,
monitor, and joystick, using a mouse to click on tiny "hotspots" to
tune radios and instruments (many of which required scrolling the panel
to observe). I was spending far more time designing planes in X-Plane
and creating panels than actually flying.

I put flight sims aside for several years. Something happened in 2010
that ignited my interest in building a cockpit again, and that is how
my current sim started. At this point, I have managed to do just about
everything with the sim that I had planned, and now once again I can
finally sit down and really enjoy "flying". It's not often these days
that I have time to actually get everything fired up and make a proper,
full simulated flight, but it's very relaxing and enjoyable when I do.

BUT, now that I have "conquered" a homebuilt sim, I am ready to take
the knowledge and skills I have developed, and do a much nicer, proper
simulation on an actual aircraft cockpit, with full type-specific
procedures and checklists etc. Annnnnd as it happens....I am scheduled
to receive the front end of a certain business jet this weekend..... :)

I have already decided that if/when the time comes that I lose interest
in sims, I will redirect my resources at acquiring a real aircraft.
Barring that, I still have plenty of other hobbies to keep me
entertained, I never seem to tire of RC models. :)

Curious, what "regional type" sim do you have now?

Matt