[simpits-tech] Who is using a Centipede shield to drive their LED's ?

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Fri Nov 22 14:55:05 PST 2013

On 22 November 2013 03:15, geneb <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:

> Yep.  I'll be interested in seeing how your OpenGL code works.  I've tried
> getting RJGlass running on mine and it just throws a hissy fit over the ES
> stuff.  I haven't taken the time to pursue it yet.  I keep getting
> side-tracked by 3D printer tasks.

I tried to do a screen capture, but Fraps can't do hi-res well enough it
would seem.

There is a video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np0tAftkcSI  which
shows a test panel being edited. It's running on pseudo data just to
animate things but it talks happily to X-Plane and it won't take too much
to make it talk to FSX, P3D et al.  You'll see yellow rectangles appear in
the video, these optionally highlight the hotspots you can use with a mouse
or touchscreen to manipulate the instruments.

In short(ish):

The display can be any size you like provided it is 640x480 or larger.
You can select a background image should you wish.
You can select from a shitload of different instruments/switches/etc. The
already large list is always growing.
many instruments can be drawn without bezels - handy if you're mounting a
screen behind a panel.
You can drag items around the screen to wherever you want them and re-size
them to suit.
You can add bitmaps if you like to simulate sub-panels or other hardware.
You can change the drawing order so that things can overlap.
You can daisy-chain screens so that data is relayed across as many screens
as you can eat. (pilot, co-pilot, engineer, etc).
You can run X-Plane on the _same_ machine - there is almost no impact on
frame-rates.

Unlike the old versions of X-Panel, all editing is done on the fly while it
is live. Just hit Ctrl-E (Edit) and you're away.

The code is ANSI C, uses the ubiquitous SDL lib's and only requires OpenGL
2.0 or better.

Although there's some basic glass in here, as found in the J-41 and the
737-NG, I've now got the manuals to reverse engineer the real deal, so some
of the instruments are going to become fairly intelligent.

Once the current contract I'm working on comes to a close I'll figure out a
better video capture and do a narrated version.

Thought this might interest you though.

Roy.