[simpits-tech] Who is using a Centipede shield to drive their LED's ?

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Nov 21 19:24:40 PST 2013

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013, Matt Bailey wrote:

> I used a couple of these stacked on an Uno to read all the analog radios
> (including the old-style dial ADF tuner) in a 737 cockpit. Works a
> treat. :)

I haven't tried them for inputs yet.  I take it they do a good job?

> Gene, thanks for making your output board available to us, I will
> probably be getting some built when I get into interfacing the
> Sabreliner. Quick question: is there any reason you couldn't wire all
> the Centipede outputs to transistors or FETs and have 64 high-load
> outputs?

Right now the only thing I'm using the Centipede for is to drive my 16
channel high-power boards.  I've got five built out of the eight I'll
eventually need.  Because of how the driver boards work, the Centipede
only sees a light load - only enough to bias the TIP-125 into switching
on.  There's no problem at all in using a whole Centipede for outputs,
just as long as you're using a driver board.  I would NOT use my driver
board to drive relays or motors however.  There's no back-EMF protection
in the circuit so you'll likely blow a driver transistor the first few
times it's used that way.  That being said, there's no reason why you
can't create a tiny little board to handle those cases where you need to
do that kind of switching.