[simpits-tech] Hall effect sensor question

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Sat Oct 20 14:18:10 PDT 2012

Hey Gene (and anyone else who has played with Hall effect sensors), I am working on something totally unrelated to flight controls at the moment, but I am considering the use of Hall effect sensors. Question: if you position a couple magnets around a Hall sensor, exactly how much of a complete rotation can the sensor read? IOW, if you rotate the sensor (or the magnets around the sensor) 360*, will you get a relatively linear resistance curve out of the sensor? I'm guessing if you started with the sensor in a position to read lowest (lowest resistance, basically), then at 180* the resistance would be highest, and as you continued the rotation, resistance would start going down again until returning to the original starting point. No?

If Hall sensors work something like this, then I think I may have a very interesting use for them.

Matt