[simpits-tech] Odd control issue with XP...

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Sat Nov 24 22:37:58 PST 2012

My first guess would be a bad Plasma (sad!!!!), but I will say I've had some weird issues with Windows and joystick device calibration back before I switched to Linux.

One thing I can think of: with a traditional 100k pot, for instance, don't you usually get *some* voltage at the low end, since it's just a big resistor and not actually opening or grounding the circuit? Theoretically it still shouldn't act the way it's acting for you, but this *is* Windows we're talking about, maybe the unusually low voltage reading from the Hall is confusing it. :P

I would plug it into another PC and see what you get, or boot your current PC into a Linux boot CD and see if it will calibrate in Linux. Linux seems to be a little more tolerant of non-conventional joystick-style controls than Windows. Oh, and try different jumper settings on the Plasma...you can change the filtering level, as well as the resolution if I remember correctly (my Plasma V2 manual is not on this PC).

Matt