[simpits-tech] A hard-fought victory!

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Nov 19 06:59:57 PST 2012

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:

>> You could also add USB sound devices. :)
>>
>> For extra realism, mix in a 400Hz signal with your audio output on the
>> radios. :)
>>
>> g.
>
> LOL, actually if I start moving over to analog instruments, I may end up
> with a REAL 400hz signal mixing in with my intercom. :) That's actually
> not a bad idea now that you mention it.....I do seem to recall a bit of
> high-frequency "noise" on some of the bigger aircraft I've flown. It's
> doable.

Hehe.  Somewhere on the net is a loopable sound sample of a 400Hz tone.
When mixed with voice audio it sounds exactly like what you frequently
hear when using a scanner to listen to COM freqs.

> USB sound cards are pretty cheap these days, and definitely an option if
> I really need more channels. While researching sound libraries, I
> happened across a number of folks who are using USB sound cards with
> ALSA successfully (including Raspberry PI folks, and I have a PI I am
> thinking of doing something with....).

Yep.  There's also a sound library that FlightGear uses (might be ALSA,
not sure) that you might want to check out.  It does some really cool
things.

One of the reasons that X-Plane isn't my sim of choice is the poor out of
the box support for very wide displays.  With FS9/FSX and Prepar3D, you
can create custom views that allow a good 180+ degree wrap-around display
using a single computer.  In order to achieve the same result in X-Plane,
you have no choice but to go to multiple computers.  That really drives up
the cost of the whole simulator.

FlightGear also does an excellent job with wide-screen displays from a
single host.  v3.0 is coming out in Feb!