[simpits-tech] A hard-fought victory!

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Sun Nov 18 17:21:10 PST 2012

---- geneb <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:
>
> > Thanks! Yep, 5 sound cards.....it's probably possible to utilize a
> > couple more ports on each card (for ones that support 5.1 Dolby,
> > anyways) and thus get 2 or 3 channels out of a single card, but it's not
> > worth the trouble IMO. Plus I would probably be stuck only being able to
> > play out of one output per card at once. Much simpler to just stick the
> > "the green port" on each card, both channels (left/right) and wire one
> > card per "radio" on the audio panel.
>
> You could also add USB sound devices. :)
>
> For extra realism, mix in a 400Hz signal with your audio output on the
> radios. :)
>
> g.

LOL, actually if I start moving over to analog instruments, I may end up with a REAL 400hz signal mixing in with my intercom. :) That's actually not a bad idea now that you mention it.....I do seem to recall a bit of high-frequency "noise" on some of the bigger aircraft I've flown. It's doable.

USB sound cards are pretty cheap these days, and definitely an option if I really need more channels. While researching sound libraries, I happened across a number of folks who are using USB sound cards with ALSA successfully (including Raspberry PI folks, and I have a PI I am thinking of doing something with....).

Matt