[simpits-tech] A hard-fought victory!

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Sat Nov 17 13:41:12 PST 2012

Thanks! Yep, 5 sound cards.....it's probably possible to utilize a couple more ports on each card (for ones that support 5.1 Dolby, anyways) and thus get 2 or 3 channels out of a single card, but it's not worth the trouble IMO. Plus I would probably be stuck only being able to play out of one output per card at once. Much simpler to just stick the "the green port" on each card, both channels (left/right) and wire one card per "radio" on the audio panel.

I could almost use more, but 5 worked out OK...my audio panel has nav 1/2, ADF, DME, and marker beacons...that's 5 outputs, perfect! Of course it also has comm 1/2, but I'm going to probably be handling them separately, as I plan on using Pilot Edge ( http://www.pilotedge.net/ ) which I just found out about...apparently it actually reads the comm freq set in the sim and routes audio correctly based on that. Pretty cool! But at any rate, the only thing I might need a comm channel for besides that would be for pre-recorded "chatter". I can always use the audio on my instrument panel PC and wire that to comm 2, for instance, if I want chatter while flying offline.

Matt