[simpits-tech] Interesting "big sim" tidbit............

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Sat Nov 3 11:34:22 PDT 2012

> Nvidia has excellent support for Linux, although it's a closed
> source/proprietary driver (more an idealistic issue than a practical
> one). I have long since given up ATI in Linux....actually I have long
> since given up ATI period, far too many bugs and problems. Anyways, what
> cards have you tried? Perhaps if I were on the latest video card
> technology I would see an issue (running a 9800 GT right now), although
> like I said, Nvidia is pretty great about supporting Linux, at least for
> their video drivers. Are there features you are seeing in Windows video
> drivers that the Linux counterparts lack?

Yeah, ATI has always sucked.  I've never had issue with the proprietary
drivers with NVidia, but you should hear some of the FG guys whine about
it. :)

>> You're using FlightGear, right?
>
> Nope, X-Plane all the way.....while I love the concept, FlightGear has
You might want to give it another look.  With the new Rembrandt shading
system, it looks really nice.

My biggest issue with XP is that I can't drive three projectors with it
from a single machine.  You have to have three of them networked together
to make it work.  It's absurd. :)

> As far as hardware and software options, I would have to agree that COTS
> hardware support for MSFS is more abundant than for X-Plane. But that is
> changing as more vendors recognize X-Plane's rising status (and the
> relative death of MSFS as an evolving platform, at least for now). The
> software situation is a little better, with lots of people making all
> sorts of interesting things with the X-Plane SDK (which seems to be a
> better development platform than FSUIPC, which never really got official
> MS support AFAIK, and was most certainly not developed in-house like the
> X-Plane SDK was). A great example is Pilot Edge, which Justin just
> pointed me to a few days ago: http://www.pilotedge.net/ It was not made
> by the X-Plane community, but has full X-Plane support.

You might also take a peek at XSUIPC - it allows MSFS add-ons to work with
XP.