[simpits-tech] Production Flight Sims

Cris Harrison phoenixcomm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 07:23:15 PDT 2012

Hi gang..
I have been involved with flight simulators since i worked a Interdata back
in the mid and late 70s. Commercial / Military FS are in real time. The b52
sim @ Singer Link (Interdata 8/32) had a map / model on the wall with a
flying camera. It used our own in-house  real-time OS. While at Grumman, I
worked on the X-29 sim (fixed base cockpit) It used Interdata then renamed
Perkin Elmer and a newer version of the 8/32 and again their real-time OS.
My partner Paul has also worked in FS & OSs since the 80's. Never have any
of our discussions, ever came across MS anything including windows, except
as workstations for the programmers.  UNIX/Linux and
or embedded variants, has a long history in FS and real-time work. The OS
has not really changed much since System V came out  in the mid 80's. yes
there have be improvements, filesystems, etc. but you know an ls is still
ls and ps is still ps. The user environment has not changed at all sh,
bash, ksh, ftp, grep, vi, ect.

Now ask youself how many times did the user environment change?  lets see
CP/M, DOS, (cant remember the name but it got sued by apple for icon
infringement)Windows 1 - 3 et al., Windows for Workgroups, Windows NT,
Windows 95, Windows Me (remember that POS), Vista,  Windows XP (and count
the variants), Windows 7, and now Windows 8. That is a moving target, and
you have to support a Sim for maybe 10 years or more.  And you also have to
remember that Networking (Internet) was never built in to the OS untill
very recent. I dont think they could spell Ethernet.

I first Ethernet system that I ever put in was at Epitax in the mid 80's
when I was at college. It was Ethernet on Thick Coax with transceivers with
vampire taps.

Cris H.
Fort Worth, Tx
Phoenixcomm.wordpress.com