[simpits-tech] New Toy for the KingAir B200 sim...

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Fri Mar 2 21:14:35 PST 2012

---- Ray Sotkiewicz <raysot at comcast.net> wrote:
> ...and just picked THESE up for a song! $25/pair
>
> http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Sperry-ARC-Nav-Head-C-1048B-and-Head-C-1038B-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqR,!i!E8Y1GchYLBPPrRcE8Vw~~60_58.JPG

NICE! Hummm, I think those were on my watch list! I could have sworn they went for more, maybe it was a different auction.

> I've been out of simming for awhile but really getting the itch to get
> back into my KingAir. A Kitchen remodel turned my man-cave into a
> storage area for the new kitchen stuff..
>
> Last year I gutted a GoFlight 166 radio to make it fit this style radio
> head... Should be a perfect fit....

Hold up a minute, I bet those control heads use the ARINC 401 spec Cris and I have been dealing with. Before you go putting the lesser GoFlight stuff into them, have you considered just hooking them into an Arduino (or even a joystick controller like the Leo Bodnar boards) and thus keeping the high-dollar displays and rotaries? Someone here recently (I think it was Roberto) posted a video of a similar Collins head hooking into a few LEDs to demonstrate the ARINC 401 operation....it's just a big fancy switch, even on the digital units it appears all the display stuff happens entirely within the head itself.

Any pics of the King Air?

Matt