[simpits-tech] 5v AC for lighting?

Cris Harrison phoenixcomm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 00:36:46 PST 2012

On 3/2/2012 2:06 AM, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:
> I have run into a slight dilemma.......all the lighting on the radios/instruments I've managed to get my hands on seem to require 5v AC, rather than DC. One of the units is that TA 7900 Omega CDU I mentioned a couple days ago, and it has integral lighting for the keypad, so changing bulbs/circuits really isn't an option. What's the best way to get 5v AC? Is there a simple/safe way to reduce the AC coming out of the wall? What frequency should it be at? 400hz like the instruments?
>
> Ideally I'd like to make an inverter that runs off 12v DC.....my electronics skills are very limited, I *may* be able to modify one of the 12vdc to 120vac circuits available online to only put out 5v, but I still don't know what frequency it's supposed to be. I sure don't want to toast the lighting on my real airplane gear.
>
> I even tried ebay for aircraft inverters...plenty of 14v, 28,, 30v, 115v, etc, but no 5v. Makes me wonder how it's actually driven in real aircraft.
>
> Matt

Ok Matt
dont sweat the small stuff..
if you have incandescent lamps (little light bulbs) than it doesn't
matter AC/DC..
on the other side if they really want AC is because they probably
convert it inside the unit.

if you have LEDs they take 5vdc most of the time..   be sure that you
are using a 220 ohm resistor, to act as a current limiter for the LED...

oh btw I have the second installment of the 410 interface, hot off the
press..
http://phoenixcomm.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/arinc-410-subsystem/

enjoy
Cris