[simpits-tech] Simple (?) electronics question - potentiometers

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Tue Feb 21 22:36:04 PST 2012

---- Roy Coates <roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk> wrote:
> The signal you (and the boards) are interested in is between the wiper and
> the ground pin. The voltage on the wiper will vary from the supply voltage
> (on your + pin) and the ground pin.
>
> So, wire your supply voltage to the + pin.
> wire your - pin to the ground.
> Take a wire from the wiper to the input of your plasma board.
>
> Roy.

Yep, sounds like what I've been doing with my actual potentiometers....but the situation I have now is with just a resistor pack, all I have is two leads with resistors in the middle. But it is helpful to know the Plasma is measuring the difference on the wiper between the + voltage and the - voltage readings, and that that's what the Plasma wants to see. I was under the impression that the Plasma only cared about the amount of voltage going into the analog input pin from any common voltage pin. I'm still having trouble visualizing exactly how I can make that work with a resistor pack, but it gives me something to think about.

Matt