[simpits-tech] TomTom for simpits?

Roberto Waltman fsim at rwaltman.com
Wed Feb 15 04:40:26 PST 2012

dabigboy at cox.net wrote:
 > ... the TomTom family of GPS devices not only
 > runs Linux on an ARM processor
 > ...TomTom completely open-sourced the whole thing
 > Now there is an entire community and project built
 > up around hackerizing TomToms to run custom Linux
 > builds and random Linux apps
 > just wondering if anyone has explored this?

Thanks for the pointer, I looked at TomToms before
but wasn't aware of the Linux connection.
That could make life much easier.

When I choosed the Mios I was paying attention to
the enclosure design. Screen not recessed, straight
lines, can be stacked or put side by side without
"dead space", etc.

 > I'm assuming my silky-smooth OpenGL instruments
 > would be out, but I bet I could get something going
 > with SDL to at least display frequencies or other
 > semi-static data. Heck, the devices are going for
 > under $40 on ebay, even if you dumped the device
 > itself and just hooked the 3.5" LCD into an Arduino
 > it would be worth it.

Better to use the whole thing. (May be sans enclosure.)
You get the video drivers working, power regulation,
USB port for comms, etc.

(And a working GPS if you get lost between the sim
and the kitchen fridge!)

--
Roberto Waltman