[simpits-tech] TomTom for simpits?

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Tue Feb 14 23:03:17 PST 2012

Alright, so Roberto's suggestion about the Mio GPS got me poking around......it turns out the TomTom family of GPS devices not only runs Linux on an ARM processor, but it seems that after TomTom was accused of using GPL'd code in a proprietary operation system, TomTom completely open-sourced the whole thing. Now there is an entire community and project built up around hackerizing TomToms to run custom Linux builds and random Linux apps..........just wondering if anyone has explored this?

I'm assuming my silky-smooth OpenGL instruments would be out, but I bet I could get something going with SDL to at least display frequencies or other semi-static data. Heck, the devices are going for under $40 on ebay, even if you dumped the device itself and just hooked the 3.5" LCD into an Arduino it would be worth it.

Matt