[simpits-tech] Visual system questions (Gene) and an idea

Wayne Ledzian wledzian1 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 1 07:03:51 PST 2012

To fully correct an image with lenses alone would require specialized (read "$$$$") optics.  A simple mirror would, however, get you fairly close, the main benefit being fewer wasted pixels.  You'd still need the warping software to get the rest of the way.

There are focus issues with our setup if you're specifically looking for them, but they're fairly minor.  They're primarily in the form of a slight misalignment between the RGB channels towards the edges, and a small amount of focal blur, generally less than 1 pixel worth. It's really not noticeable once everything is aligned and blended.  This was a consideration when choosing our projectors;  in order to have minimum skew at the joints, we wanted a long-throw projector.  In order to have maximum depth of field (distance at which focus is acceptable), we wanted a small lens.

If we had used short-throw projectors, we'd have had to mount them much closer to the screen, with the result of more severe focal issues and strong skew at the edges.