[simpits-tech] Visual system questions (Gene) and an idea

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Wed Feb 1 04:33:50 PST 2012

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:

> Hey Gene, in my research on visual systems, I came across a common issue
> with curved/spherical screens and projectors. It has been noted that
> even when you use software to warp and edge-blend the projectors for a
> curved screen, areas further from the center of the screen go out of
> focus. From the videos of your system, it doesn't appear this is an
> issue, although I can't really tell for sure just from vids.....I would
> guess that the relatively minor curve of your front-projection screen
> keeps the focus issue to a minimum (another big advantage of your
> system's use of a spherical mirror as opposed to projecting directly
> onto a main screen), but I am curious: has this been an issue for you?

I haven't noticed any focus issues myself.  The curve of the screen that
each projector covers is pretty shallow, so that helps.

> For folks projecting directly onto a curved screen, I have always
> thought that it would be better to use some sort of lens on the
> projector that would warp the image, as opposed to using software. I
> even saw one sim builder mention this on the X-Plane.org forums, he had
> a curved screen and mentioned just using a lens on the front of the
> projector to warp things properly...I asked him about it but never got a
> reply.

There may be a way to do this, but I don't know how.  Wayne might have an
idea or two.

> It appears that the lens I seek is a simple fisheye/wide-angle lens, and
> that planetariums actually use this concept for their projection
> systems. It makes a lot more sense to use natural optics for the angle
> correction, as opposed to taking away pixels from the image and trying
> to shove it into shape with software. Plus you wouldn't need to spend
> $500+ on warping software. :)

A lens that will properly distort the projector output will likely cost
you a LOT more than $500.  It would have to be custom-ground, and would
likely require more than one.

> Similarly, for people with cylindrical screens, a cylindrical mirror
> could be used (I think?) whose angle is equal to the angle of the main
> screen.

If they're using a fold mirror, then yes.  There's a guy out there that'
built a Jet Ranger sim from a written off airframe and he uses a curved
fold mirror against a curved display screen.  It's pretty slick.

> Brainstorming. Fun.......now I need to find my card reader so I can
> upload pics of my Jeppesen/PFC yoke that I hackerized into my sim. :)

Neat!

by the clean end.