[simpits-tech] [x-plane-tech] Austin Meyers Patent Troll interveiw (fwd)

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Sat Dec 22 10:29:25 PST 2012

Interesting! I read about this lawsuit on Austin's page a while back, and heard about Uniloc a while before that. Austin/Laminar Research is only one of several companies Uniloc is suing in a "shotgun" approach. I suppose they are throwing a bunch of things against the wall and hoping something will stick.

Read their webpage: http://www.uniloc.com/

The entire site reeks of patent-troll. While they bring up ONE instance of technology supposedly being licensed prior to someone else trying to use it (the Microsoft example, which is dubious since remote-activation was just getting started in the late 90's and everyone was trying it), even the front page makes it pretty obvious what their business is:

"Uniloc is in the business of finding big ideas. In the device recognition space, for example, we believe that we have uncovered a billion dollar market. We have focused on technology that is incredibly complex to develop, but elegantly simple to execute. And it fits our straightforward development model. Look at many ideas. Pick an outstanding one. Patent it. Commercialize it. Reap the rewards."

Seems lately they are just skipping the "commercialize" part and going straight in for the kill. The "ideas", of course, don't come from Uniloc. Look at another quote, right from their webpage:

"We have some pretty smart technologists looking at the original ideas. Some fairly savvy business people evaluating their market potential. And some pretty shrewd lawyers who determine if the ideas can be patented and protected."

And they're not even taking "ideas", as if it were something that the poor lazy original inventor never got around to developing fully. They are taking working, tested, complete, money-making code and concepts, that the developer has simply not patented. Then Uniloc files a patent to match whatever they have found, and they sue with that. Bastards.

The developers know a lot of this stuff is so common or obvious that it does not warrant patenting. And I suspect a lot of them are simply too busy developing, or too cash-strapped, to be filing a patent on every little thing. It's no wonder that the Big Guys (Apple, MS, HP, etc) try to patent the silliest things.....they may be simply trying to protect themselves from the likes of Uniloc, in some cases. Unfortunately, most judges apparently lack even basic fundamental technical knowledge to understand a BS patent. And/or they are too dumb, getting paid-off, or just too messed-up in the head to simply throw out these ridiculous lawsuits.

Why would a judge entertain these leeches for a second when it's so blatantly obvious what is going on, that they are doing exactly OPPOSITE of what the patent system was supposed to do?

The world doesn't need butt-scum like the people behind Uniloc.

Matt